Monday, April 28, 2014

The Big Government Nanny State in Hurst


The Big Government Nanny State in Hurst
By
James Scott Trimm

In a recent letter to the editor in the Fort Worth Star Telegram, Robert Mills endorsed incumbent Anna Holzer for Hurst City Council saying “When my wife and I got married, we wanted a home in a safe community with a city council that looked after all of its residents.”  It appears that Robert Mills was looking for a “nanny state”, a government that “looks after” its citizens. 

Ms. Holzer does not repudiate this endorsement of herself in connection with the Nanny State, but instead proudly posts it on her campaign Facebook page, with Ms. Holzer herself and two of her supporters “liking” the letter.

Yesterday, while walking door to door campaigning for Anna’s opponent Joel Downs I came to the door of one of our other city council members.  This man greeted me at the door and immediately told me that he was on the city council, that he was voting for Ann Holzer and that Joel Downs would be bad for Hurst.  I had lots of houses to visit, most of which were giving me a very positive response, so I was about to move on, when he says “And I can tell you why if you want….”  

I have always said that one’s beliefs must be big enough to include all of the facts, open enough to be tested, and flexible enough to change, so I decided to hear him out.

He was quick to identify himself as a conservative, but then began to defend Anna Holzer and the council’s borrowing.  He said that the “Tea Party has its place” but that city elections are “non partisan.” 

I responded by saying that conservative values of limited government, personal freedom and individual determination, are just as applicable on the municipal level as on any other, and he could not deny the point.

He then tried to argue that Ms. Holzer is not really a big government liberal, but a “blue dog Democrat.”  Of course the fact that Ms. Holzer donates to liberal causes such as Wendy Davis, makes it clear that she is a liberal.  But if there is any question about Ms. Holzer as a big government liberal, the fact that Ms. Holzer displays Robert Mill’s letter with pride, makes it clear that she is a big government nanny state liberal.

He tried to sell me on he idea that the money has been well spent, saying that it had been spent to create many "conveniences" (his word) for Hurstonians.  This is where we come to the Nanny State.  Here we are presented with a big government that "looks after" its citizens providing for their conveniences.  This is directly counter to the limited government principle of conservatism.

Finally this council member argued that as a Hurst citizen, I should not be worried about the Hurst debt because most of it will not be paid by Hurst residents, but with sales tax from non-Hurst residents shopping in Hurst.

I responded that regardless of the sources of tax money, we should be good stewards with all tax funds, and that the principles of limited government stand, regardless of the source of the taxes. 

In the end he told me that he respected my opinion, and that should Mr. Downs be elected, he will accept that this is the will of the voters and work with Mr. Downs on the council.

Folks, the weed of tax, borrow and spend big government state-ism has taken root in the City of Hurst.  It is even being defended by self-described conservatives on the City Council.  If Hurst is to grow, we must weed out the garden.

Early voting starts today, and I hope you will join me in voting for Joel Downs, and sending a message to our City Council. 







No comments:

Post a Comment