Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Why I am Supporting Joel Downs for Hurst Mayor



Why I am Supporting Joel Downs for Hurst Mayor
By
James Scott Trimm

I have lived my entire life (nearly half a century) in Hurst, I have been a registered voter in Hurst for my entire adult life and I am serving as GOP Precinct Chair for precinct 3176 in Hurst.

As a conservative I have a core set of values and beliefs about the limited role of government, and personal liberty, which serve as my guide.  These principles are applicable on every level of government, including municipal government. 

Joel Downs is running on a number of issues that resonate with my conservative values of limited government, personal liberty and self determination.

One major issue in this election is our Second Amendment rights.  Our Mayor, Richard Ward, is an anti-gun activist. (see my recent blog on this click here) Ward is one of only seven Texas Mayors to sign onto Michael Bloomberg’s Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG), a coalition of over 1,000 mayors that support gun control.  Ward has traveled the country, using his title as Mayor of Hurst, to campaign for gun control nationwide!  He even bragged to the New York Times that he had gotten over 100 letters from his NRA member constituents asking him to leave MAIG but that he kept getting re-elected. The Times says that he "chuckled" while saying this.  That's right, Richard Ward has literally been laughing at us for not voting him out of office! 

Another issue is the red light cameras in Hurst.  I am convinced that the majority of residents in Hurst do not want these cameras.  I do not believe that a properly limited government should press these red light cameras upon citizens that do not want them.  To me, this is offensive to my values of freedom and self-determination of the people of our city.  In the next mayoral term our red light camera contract will be up for renewal.  Richard Ward helped bring red light cameras to Hurst, but Downs pledges to try to eliminate them.

One of those core values is that government must live within its means.  If possible, government (on all levels) should avoid borrowing, and even establish a “rainy day fund” for future lean years.  However, the City of Hurst has been borrowing at an alarming rate, despite having a healthy tax base.  The city is now nearly 100 million dollars in debt!  We must not let this trend continue.  We have seen what has happened to cities that have run themselves into heavy debt. 

Joel Downs wants to begin the process of reining in this debt, and this definitely resonates with my conservative values.

Joel also emphasizes personal liberty and encourages capitalism.  These are also core conservative values which go hand in hand with limited government, and would do much to encourage new business growth in areas of Hurst that definitely need it.

Mr. Downs is not the establishment candidate.  He offers positive change.   It is time for change, for new blood, and for a course correction toward conservative values that reflect those of the majority of the residents of our city.  And that is why I am supporting Joel Downs for Mayor.  I hope that you will join me.

You can Visit Joel Down's Campaign Website at http://www.downsforhurst.com

No comments:

Post a Comment